Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Film Review: Daddio


There are cabbies, talkative and sometimes even nosy, and there are people who need a ride somewhere. Under no circumstance would I consider a pairing of the two sufficient for a film plot.

I’m happy to admit that I would be wrong.


“Daddio” is a strange, funny, oddly even moving film about an old cabbie named Clark (played by Sean Penn), who picks up a fare in the form of a young, pretty girl called here “Girlie,” brilliantly played by Dakota Johnson.


Clark is from New York’s Hell’s Kitchen. Girlie is a computer programmer from Oklahoma and says she lives in a world where “everything is ones and zeroes.”


They’re a strange pair, to say the least. He is talkative in the extreme, and seems to have an answer (or at least a suggestion) for any situation. He just lacks someone to talk to.


Girlie has a half-sister who “used to tie me up and lock me in the bathroom.”


“Did you like being tied up?” he asks.

“I liked the challenge of getting free.”


Girlie is trying to figure out what to do with her situation: she’s been dating a married man. And she gets frequent texts from guys who want, well, you can guess what.


Will she get free? Will Clark keep on driving that cab and helping out the socially lost?


You’ll have to see the film to find out. And I would definitely advise that.

No comments:

Post a Comment