Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Theater Review: Velour: A Drag Spectacular!


I’ve been reviewing plays for some years now, but there are some things I never expected to see onstage. One such is a drag show featuring a performer called Sasha Velour.


The show, called “Velour: A Drag Spectacular” – is based on Velour’s book “The Big Reveal” and directed by theatre artist Moisés Kaufman (of the Playhouse’s “Here There Are Blueberries” and “The Laramie Project”). It runs through Sept. 8 in the Playhouse’s Potiker Theatre. 


The show – co-produced with the New York City-based Tectonic Theatre Project – also includes three other performers doing their own drag: Ezra Reaves, Moscato Sky and Amber St. James.


"Drag is everywhere,” Velour says. “There isn't a corner of the world that hasn't seen a little drag at some point — a wig, a frock, a dance, a swish. Sure, you might have to dig around some fragmented sources and do a little reading past the euphemisms, exclusions, and whitewashings of history to clearly see it, but the truth is… there have always been shows like this.”

I suspect my mom would prefer not to know this, and I’m even more certain I’ve never seen such a thing, but hey ma, things have changed (and besides, she’s dead now).

I must admit I didn’t quite know how to respond to this show, though I was seated very close to a bunch of men who responded quite noisily, with lots of whistles, “woo-hoos” and loud shrieks of apparent delight. Lots of pink boas were to be seen throughout the theater.

But if I can’t really respond intelligently to what was happening onstage, I can certainly give credit where it’s due: Diego Montoya Studio, for the costume design, David Rockwell for the scenic design, Amanda Zieve for lighting and  Palmer Hefferan’s sound design and Cosette “Ettie” Pin for the projection design, Angela Phillips of aerial design, the House of Velour for video creation and Stephen Oremus for music direction.

Don’t worry about what’s happening or where it’s going. Just sit back, relax and enjoy something you’ve likely never seen before.  

No comments:

Post a Comment